August Affair 2014: Jeans & Gems
20 years of August Affairs
Friday, August 22nd
That's right. We are celebrating our 20th August Affair (formerly known as the Art Affair) and it is going to be bigger and better than ever. Please join us for a night of one of the region's best and largest silent auctions, and a limited live auction. Through the years we have raised more than a half a million dollars for child abuse treatment, prevention and education programs and services. Unfortunately, there are still children and families in need.
We keep growing so this year's August Affair takes place at the Cincinnati Airport Marriott on Friday, August 22nd from 7:00 - 11:00 pm. In case you want to keep the party going all night long, discount hotel packages are currently available.
Continuing with our always fun party environment, this year's theme is Jeans & Gems. Be comfortable and show your bedazzled best while you are dancing to the great sounds of Swampthang. The first 2-hours are open bar and we will be pouring our signature themed drink courtesy of Chas. Seligman Distributing.
Our volunteer planning committee has been busy gathering some great auction items. Here is a just a small sample!
- An electric guitar signed by Bruce Springsteen, The Boss.
- A helicopter tour of the downtown areas.
- A week-stay at a private home on beautiful Anna Maria Island in Florida.
- Record and album cover signed by The Doors.
- The Toyota Suite at a Cincinnati Reds game.
- A VIP vacation stay at the beautiful Nemacolin Woodlands Resort in PA.
- University of Kentucky basketball tickets from a season ticket holder.
- 4 night stay vacation package in historic Savannah, GA.
- Large movie poster from the original Star Wars movie signed by the entire cast.
- A week-stay at a 5-bedroom home in Orlando with pool and 4 Disney tickets.
- Cincinnati Bengals tickets and autographed memorabilia.
- Mystery Purses: You never know what's inside!
Due to popular demand, we are also bringing back Susan Johnson as our auctioneer. She did a fantastic job last year with our live auction and benefit paddle raise.
Order your tickets now!
Champions for Change
In celebration of our 20th year, we will be honoring 20 Champions for Change. Champions are individuals, organizations or corporations who have demonstrated a commitment to creating a culture of change for how society views and responds to child abuse. In order to change the outcomes, change the statistics, change the attitudes, and change the conversation, we must work as a community to prevent and confront all forms of child abuse. It's an incredible list of honorees and we know you will be proud to join with us as we recognize their efforts.
- Gary Hudson, Founder Darkness to Light, Cincinnati
- Dr. Robert Shapiro and the Mayerson Center for Safe and Healthy Children
- The Bank of Kentucky
- Scripps Howard Foundation and The E.W. Scripps Co.
- Kathy Collins, Family Nurturing Center board member emeritus
- Karen Tackett, volunteer
- Council on Child Abuse of Southern Ohio, Inc.
- Northern Kentucky Children’s Advocacy Center
- Kentucky State Representative Addia Wuchner
- Larry and Jan Gildea, community activists
- Kathy Weyer, Greater Cincinnati Voice of the Faithful
- Chris Bochenek and The Carol Ann and Ralph V. Haile, Jr./U.S. Bank Foundation
- Dr. Barbara Boat and Dr. Erma Olafson, The Childhood Trust
- Karla Hurley, Family Resource Center, Mason/Corinth Elementary
- Stephanie Watson, Kenton County Victims Advocate
- Detectives Melody Kennedy and Tracy Watson, Boone County Sheriff Department
- Kristin Shrimplin, Family Violence Prevention Project
- Tom Gill, Tom Gill Chevrolet
- Paul Gelter, The Christ Hospital and Social Venture Partners
Corporate sponsorship opportunities are still available but you must hurry to meet print deadlines if want full benefits. To discuss the many benefits of sponsorship, contact either Kathy DeLaura or Tracy Fuchs.
Have an item that you would like to donate to our auction? Maybe an autographed collectable, tickets to a concert or sporting event, great weekend getaway package? We would love to include your donation in our auction. Here is an auction donation form, or you can contact Tricia Schneider with your questions and suggestions.